Friday, April 13, 2018

Grid Art



For this grid art project, I chose to use stock photo magazines as my medium. To start, I printed out a simple grid that could easily be followed. I used a basic grid on paper so I could sketch a design over it in pencil.


Image result for grid pattern
I wanted to create a night sky depiction as celestial objects have always been a source of inspiration for me. I chose to depict a crescent moon in the sky.

I first traced a crescent moon shape over the grid in pencil. I then created a stencil which would allow me to trace boxes of the same dimensions as the ones in my grid. I placed this stencil over the section of the magazine I wanted, traced, and then cut out each small square.

For the moon portion, I used a variety of yellows, off whites, and even some more orangey tones. I wanted to use a variety of tones to achieve an eclectic look as well as create an illusion of dimension in my piece. For the background, I used a variety of blues in all tones, light and dark. I even used some straight up black squares. I wanted to go for a night sky look, but I wanted to mix in a lot of vivid blue tones to contrast the yellow and orange tones used in the moon.

Overall, I like the look of my finished product. It reminds me of magazine collages I used to make for fun when I was younger, but much more cohesive. I like the contrast between the foreground and background of the piece.  

2 comments:

  1. Lowkey, you had some fire art. You were so quiet and humble, i never knew what to expect. This was probably the most solid project for this assignment. It matches your personality and even better it matches you. Dope. Fire. Awesome. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete