Thursday, April 12, 2018

Xerox Art






For this project, I chose to use the Xerox machine to capture images of my hand and fingers at various angles, positions, etc in an attempt to create a mandala. I was inspired by images like this:


Image result for mandala
I thought it would be cool to try and emulate a similar image. To do this, I took a bunch of photocopies of my hand and fingers. For each circular layer of the mandala, I had to make copies of the exact same image for the purpose of achieving symmetry.


The process of actually putting the piece together involved carefully cutting out the shapes I wanted and then arranging them in a circle. I picked a focal point for the center of the "mandala" and then used other images to create the outside layers. I was careful to try and keep it as symmetrical as possible.


Overall, my goal was to create a balanced piece inspired by one of my favorite art forms (mandalas) but I think the final product also has a Dali-esque surreal quality to it that I like. The harsh black and white shadows and repetition of elements reminds me of a surrealist play on the ancient art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment